Monday, November 4, 2013

Course Description

From last week, the rough course description I wrote:

In this course, we will examine many genres and formats of text media. From newspapers to YouTube videos, academic journals to opinion pieces, novels to short stories, even advertisements to petitions, we will read and analyze text to uncover the similarities, differences, and underlying ideologies within each. With each reading, you will be expected to complete some form of writing, from free-writes to brainstorms to formal compositions. Expect to engage critically with the readings. Come prepared to discuss ideas in class. Be willing to rethink your position and be ready to argue your case using textual evidence. This class is aimed at preparing you to take on the rigors of college-level coursework: you are expected to regularly attend class, come prepared, and maintain academic honesty in your compositions.

I think that when I re-write this, I want to strive for a less serious tone. I enjoyed Laura's course description from last week because it was very approachable. I still like this initial draft for outlining the standards/expectations I would have for students. I do not know if I will include graphics, perhaps if they are relevant... I will definitely take care when formatting the syllabus--I think that clear layout and organization can allow students to feel comfortable with a course by setting a positive and transparent tone. A well-organized syllabus avoids confusion.

1 comment:

  1. What part of the course description were you thinking sounded too serious? Maybe the part about "Be willing to rethink your position and be ready to argue your case using textual evidence." I could see how students' might be intimidated about this, but then again it might encourage students to try and get their reading done before class if they know they are going to have to talk about what they have read in class. Maybe it could be rephrased somehow to make it sound more like students will benefit somehow by coming prepared to class, and it will help them later on with harder classes that they take in their academic careers?

    ReplyDelete