Sunday, September 1, 2013

Introduction

When offered a reward, most kids would ask for ice cream. 
I asked for a pencil. 
I loved stationary ever since I could hold a crayon or fold paper by myself. I would carry around a little book even though I did not know how to read yet...
But I was not born a natural reader or writer: my letters were consistently backwards until first grade, I was in the 37th percentile of spelling on standardized tests, and my reading comprehension was all but nonexistent. 
Then I reached third grade. 
I found a book I loved to read. 
I had a teacher who pushed me to read for comprehension, not just content. 
I began to write with all those pencils and papers and notebooks I had collected. 
As reading and writing increasingly became a passion, so did teaching. I enjoyed helping others, and slowly realized that I comprehended concepts in a more meaningful manner after I had explained them to another student. In high school, I began to participate in transformative class discussions about literature. These dialogues challenged my own values, honed my critical thinking skills, and increased my ability to communicate. I knew then that I wanted to study literature in college.
As I completed my undergraduate degree in English Literature at UC Santa Cruz, I added a minor in education. Never have I ever been more depressed or determined to become a teacher than when I sat discussing the deplorable state of public education after defunding and education reforms and the list goes on and on and on. Depressed about the past that I could not change, but determined to teach so that I could affect the future of public education.
Both my parents were teachers, so my eyes were open as I entered the teaching field. Still, I wanted some practical teaching experience before I took further steps toward completing a teacher-training education. For two years, I was an afterschool and substitute teacher, and, oh, did I learn. I knew I had chosen a career that is both a challenge and a joy. So here I am, continuing the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment