Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Much-More-than-Marginal Importance of Notes in the Margins

While reading "A Historical Perspective on Reading Research and Practice," I found myself constantly underlining, circling and writing in the margins. I focused on the big ideas of the piece, such as the theorists who influenced the eras of literacy education, the emerging theories and practices, even assessing my opinions and experiences of applicable approaches. When I went back to write my annotation, much of my summary came from the notes I had made.

Consequently, if I explained the importance of taking notes and writing annotations to students, I would explain how both practices encourage active reading. Notes and underlining require you to pause and pull out important ideas, taking a moment to reflect on the information and theories you encounter and placing them in context of your prior knowledge. Afterwards, annotating articles forces you to go back and synthesize the information you read. To get students to annotate, I would either assign a sample annotation as homework, or point out the use of annotations as study tools. To get them to bring the article to class, I would ask them to share their notes and note-taking strategies using the hard copy versus just reading online. The findings would definitely show that having a hard copy to write on encourages constant and creative note-taking, where reading on a computer has too much potential for distraction. Although, there may be programs that would allow for similarly meaningful note-taking on a computer. Hopefully, this would increase their active engagement with academic readings by giving them tools to unpack the articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment