Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Grammar

None of the reading and writing courses we have studied so far have emphasized explicit grammar instruction. I think their focus on active reading and the writing process is admirable, but idealistic. The courses imply that the grammar competency will simply come naturally with the students continued learning. But, I think students need some practical grammar instruction on big, basic issues they encounter in their writing.

I would add a few grammar workshops to the course, maybe a 20 minute session every week or two-weeks, and I would have the students determine what type of grammar instruction would be most useful to discuss.

2 comments:

  1. I like your idea about grammar workshops. Would you also maybe pick some common issues you see in student writing and try and address them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always like to give students the opportunity to voice their concerns/what they want to work on. But, that said, if there were major similarities in student errors, I would take the time to address those in particular. :)

      Delete