Sunday, October 27, 2013

Teaching philosophy

Social-metacognitivist

My teaching philosophy is a blend of all three major pedagogical approaches: cognitivism, expressivism, and socio-culturalism. I lean more towards a blending of sociocultural discursive activities within socially constructed schematic practices. I like the idea of expressivist activities for pre-writing/reading personal thinking. I would like to translate those initial, individual responses into social discussions that draw on students prior knowledge and cultural capital. Reading of various formats and genres will be central to classroom culture, integral to classroom activities, and vital for personal development.

In my class, I would like to foster a community that socially and culturally examines ideologies as the means for critical thinking: critical thinking that leads to metacognitivist composition processes.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way that you call yourself a socio-metacognivist and that you blend all three modes of teaching in your approach to education. You do a great job of pulling out useful aspects and activities from the different theories. Sometimes I feel like there is no overlap between these ideas, but you do a great job of recognizing the aspects of the theories that are compatible with one another. What I like most about your response is that, when the three theories failed you, you found a way to articulate your own approach to education.

    ReplyDelete