Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Self-Assessment of Blog Posts

In my previous blog post, I stated that an "A" blog:
  1. Shows understanding of and engagement with reading by connecting it to own knowledge, constructing new meaning/interpretations/questions
  2. Poses own question about the reading and tries to answer it, hopefully encouraging further discussion 
  3. Synthesizes multiple readings when appropriate/necessary
  4. Posts may make connections to previous blog posts and current posts from other students/interacts with other posts
  5. Incorporates images or other forms of media when necessary
  6. Appropriate register/tone / appropriate blog language / individual voice (not formal or academic, yet thoughtful and coherent)
  7. Includes useful links or resources to other readings when appropriate 
However, I think I would like to unpack this rubric a little, based on my self-assessment of my 704 blog. The blog posts that are most useful to me in the 709 course are those that ask me to synthesize information--either through summary or mapping--and they are also the blog posts I find most challenging. I enjoy the blog I have for 704 more, since those posts easily draw on my experiences. I realize that the 709 blog posts are more challenging, for me, because they are based on practical conceptualization of theoretical ideas. I think, as a blogger, I am stronger when I am connecting theories with my own practical experiences. 

My advice to myself is to find ways of bridging the theories we talk about into the practical application asked for in blog posts.


I think, then I will change my rubric...

5 major concerns for blog posts:

  1. Shows understanding of and engagement with reading by connecting it to own knowledge
  2. Constructs new meaning, provides interpretations, or asks questions
  3. Synthesizes multiple readings when appropriate
  4. Incorporates images or other forms of media (whenever possible)
  5. Using an individual voice (not formal or academic, yet thoughtful and coherent) 
With this, I hope to improve my personal connection to the theories (that I do enjoy, just struggle with translating into practical terms) and create new meaning through these blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment